Michelle P. Cumberland
Mrs. Cumberland is a Mississippi native and practices in the Mississippi office of the law firm of Dunlap Fiore, LLC. She is licensed to practice law not only in the state of Mississippi but also in the state of Louisiana, the Virgin Islands, and Washington, D.C. Mrs. Cumberland has extensive federal and state litigation experience representing clients in various legal matters in all phases of civil litigation. Mrs. Cumberland received a Certificate of Specialization in Environmental Law from Tulane University.
Prior to law school, Mrs. Cumberland worked as an Environmental Protection Specialist for the U.S. Navy in San Diego, California, as a civilian employee. While in San Diego, Mrs. Cumberland also received a Master's degree in Business Administration with an emphasis on Public Administration.
Mrs. Cumberland started her legal career as a law clerk for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in the Federal Activities Division. Then she worked for many years as defense counsel for companies listed on the Fortune 500 list, including Exxon and Chevron. Before joining the Dunlap Fiore, LLP team, Mrs. Cumberland was a partner of a firm in Washington, D.C. that focused on contract disputes between individuals and large corporate entities, representing clients in mediations and arbitrations.
Mrs. Cumberland is a Captain in the Louisiana Army National Guard serving as a Judge Advocate and senior advisor to the Commander of the 61st Troop Command. Her portfolio includes Cyber Operations, Administrative Law and Military Justice. In 2018 she deployed to Iraq where she advised the U.S. Garrison Commander.
Mrs. Cumberland's current practice includes Construction Law, Surety Law, commercial contract disputes, as well as environmental compliance-related issues.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Environmental Law
- Surety Law
- Construction Litigation
- Administrative Law
- Louisiana, 2006
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana, 2006
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana, 2006
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 2006
- Mississippi, 2019
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Mississippi, 2019
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Mississippi, 2019
- Washington, D.C., 2020
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2013
- Virgin Islands, 2022
- Tulane Law School, New Orleans, Louisiana
- J.D., Certificate in specialization, Environmental Law – 2006
- Honors: cum laude
- National University, San Diego, California
- M.B.A. – 2003
- Emphasis: Public Administration
- University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, Mississippi
- B.S. – 1999
- Major: Biological Sciences
- Minor: Chemistry
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Virgin Island Bar Association
- Mississippi State Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- D.C. Bar Association
- Long Beach Girls Softball League Mississippi
- National Fastpitch Coaches Association